ACERT would like to offer a belated welcome back for the spring 2018 semester. Below is a list of upcoming Lunchtime Seminars, Workshops, and our Special Event for the spring. Be sure to check our events calendar here as new events are added.
Our lunchtime seminar program will run from Thursday, February 22nd through Thursday, March 22nd. Each seminar will be held in the Charlotte Frank Room (HE 1203) from 12-2pm, and lunch will be served. See the titles and links to seminar descriptions below.
- February, 22nd: Mentoring Students of Color at Hunter
- February 27th: Designing an Accessible Classroom @ CUNY: Lessons from Universal
- Design for Learning
- March 1st: Building Things with Data and Maps in the Classroom
- March 6th: Focus on Faculty Innovations in Teaching with Technology (FITT)
- March 8th: Active Learning Activities for Large and Small Classrooms
- March 13th: Teaching and Learning Abroad: Balancing Content and Field Experience
- March 15th: Open Teaching on the Commons
- March 20th: Pedagogy and OER Development: A Faculty-Driven Approach
- March 22nd: Small Teaching: Lightning Talks on Teaching and Learning
Spring Speaker Event
On April 18th, ACERT will host Patricia Matthew for our Spring Speaker Event. Professor Matthew will deliver a talk entitled “Reflections on the ‘Free’ in Academic Freedom: Diversity and the Scholar Activist.” In the talk, Professor Matthew will argue for the importance of sustaining a diverse academic ecosystem in a moment when all faculty, but particularly faculty of color, face important choices about how to do their work. Her talk will be based on the research she completed for the “Activism(s)” section of Written/Unwritten, her work with scholars like Jessie Daniels and Tressie McMillan Cottom on the urgent need to protect intellectual and academic freedom, and her discussions with scholars from around the country.
The event will take place from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm in the Faculty Dining Room on the 8th floor of Hunter West. More information and details will be available on the ACERT webpage here.
In collaboration with the Online Learning Center, we have planned a number of online workshops and webinars including the following:
- Tuesday, February 27th: Using Blackboard’s Grade Center to Encourage Student Self-Directed Learning (5:00 pm – 6:30 pm, online)
- Monday, April 16th: Making Your Digital Content Accessible (10:00 am – 11:30 am, online)
- Wednesday, April 18th: Using Online Meeting Tools in Your Classes (10:00 am –
- 11:30 am, online)
- Monday, April 30th: Creative Uses of Whiteboard Apps (10:00 am – 11:30 am, online)
More workshops will be scheduled throughout the spring semester.
Thank you for your continued support of ACERT programming. We hope to see you this spring at many ACERT events. Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions.
Faculty Director of ACERT
Associate Professor of English
ACERT Administrative Specialist